Thursday, February 09, 2006

Workshops

I've been a scrapbooker for many years and have heard rumours about the backrooms of some scrapbooking stores.

I'd heard they had tons of workspace and tools that you could use. Sounds like fun.

Now, as a rural person, I never lived close enough to a scrapbooking store to venture into one of these rooms, but the other day, with a bit of time to kill, I thought, "what the heck, let's see what all the fuss is about."

My first time was in the Scrapbooker's Paradise in South Calgary.

I will never be the same again.

I ventured into the elusive backroom only to find it wasn't as elusive as I'd thought.

Not only were there people in there from every age group, but every skill level as well. All these years I'd thought it was a place for the elite. The Olympians of all scrapbookers.

I was welcomed with open arms and thousands of the coolest tools that I've always wanted to learn to use.

My mind started racing.

How could I possibly make the best use of my time?? How much time could I possibly spend in here and still get all my errands done??

Walls of punches of all shapes and sizes, die-cut machines with thousands of different templates, inspiring layouts hanging on the walls....

My heart was pounding.

I was mentally erasing errands off my list.

All of the possibilities were flashing before my eyes.

I grabbed my bag of paper and started punching.

Two and a half hours later with a rumbling tummy (I had long ago missed lunch) and a new bag of goodies clenched tightly in my aching fingers, I reluctantly left the workshop.

With BIG plans to return.

Since I've returned home, which is about two hours away from my newfound scrapbooking heaven, I'm preparing myself mentally for the next opportunity to run that die-cutting machine over fresh scrapbooking paper.

I will be better prepared next time.

I will pack ample food and water to keep my energized and hydrated.
I will bring a variety of papers and a thousand pieces of napkins with my ideas sketched on them.
I will tell all of my friends of the joys and excitement that lays behind those back walls.

I will return to my newfound heaven.

And I will be ready.

No comments: